Among the hundreds of chocolate bars I’ve tasted, this collection includes many of my absolute favorites. Some of them even make me swoon. All of them have won multiple awards.
Even though we can’t travel the globe right now, these craft chocolate bars will take you on a magical journey as you experience the different flavors of cacao beans grown in the Dominican Republic, Madagascar, Brazil, Bolivia, Uganda, Belize, and Tanzania. These beans were transformed into extraordinary chocolate by small companies in Iceland, the United Kingdom, Singapore, Australia, and the United States.
Put together your own delicious chocolate care packages, choosing the bars that appeal most to you. Scroll below the descriptions to make your selection.
Milk Chocolate Bars
• OmNom Milk Chocolate (45%): Made in Iceland from cacao beans grown in Madagascar, with flavor notes of citrus and berry.
• Fruition Brown Butter Milk Chocolate (43%): Made in New York with beans from the Dominican Republic, using locally churned Ronnybrook Farm Dairy browned butter for a deep caramel flavor.
Dark Chocolate Bars
• Solstice Bundibugyo (70%): Made in Utah with cacao beans from Uganda, not known for growing fine cacao, but this is a notable exception, offering notes of berries and tree fruit.
• Zokoko Tranquilidad (72%), Made in Australia with wild harvested Heirloom cacao beans from Bolivia, featuring notes of honey and dried fruit.
• Dick Taylor Madagascar (72%): Made in California from cacao beans grown in the Sambirano Valley of Madagascar blended with Brazilian beans, with flavor notes of molasses, orange, raisin, and toast.
• Fossa Honey Orchid Dancong Hongcha: Made in Singapore with beans from Tanzania and tea from the Guangdong Province in China, featuring a lychee fragrance and red date sweetness. (FYI, I am obsessed with this bar.)
• LetterPress Maya Mountain Cacao (70%), Made in California with Heirloom cacao beans from Belize, tasting of stone fruit, mocha, and pepper.
• Akesson’s Madagascar Criollo (100%): Made in the United Kingdom with rare, select Heirloom cacao beans from the Sambirano Valley, featuring a subtle fruity-sweet tartness. If you’ve ever been curious about tasting 100% chocolate, this is the one to try.
• SOLD OUT: French Broad Scorpion Pepper (72%): Made in North Carolina with locally-grown scorpion peppers, which add a subtle fruity flavor with a kick. From the maker: “This chocolate isn’t a badge-of-honor experience meant to burn you from the inside out; our use of The Scorpion is judicious.” I totally agree.
NOTE: I cannot ship to warm climates.
Shipping (Priority Mail, US only): $10 flat rate. Additional charges may apply for large orders. See the About section for more information on shipping and returns.
Local Pickup: Free, by appointment, in Newton, MA.