I’m always trying chocolate bars made by small companies in the US and from around the world. A growing trend is “dark milk” chocolates, which feature a higher percentage of chocolate with the creaminess of milk chocolate. It’s almost hard to find more traditional high-quality milk chocolate bars.
Dark chocolate bars made in the country where the cacao beans are grown are also becoming more prevalent, such as those made by Luisa Abram in Brazil. The bars in this collection are made with cacao beans grown in the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Madagascar, Brazil, and Tanzania, transformed into extraordinary chocolate by craft bar companies in the United States, Iceland, Brazil, and Singapore.
Create a chocolate sampler package to brighten someone’s day or put together your own delicious chocolate tasting journey, choosing the bars that appeal most to you. Scroll below the descriptions to make your selection.
Milk Chocolate Bars
• Fruition Brown Butter Milk Chocolate (43%): Made in New York with beans from the Dominican Republic; the addition of locally churned Ronnybrook Farm Dairy browned butter along with a higher percentage of chocolate add a twist to a classic milk chocolate bar.
• Omnom Nicaragua Milk Chocolate (50%): Made in Iceland with organic cacao beans and Icelandic milk, the flavor notes of this dark milk bar are fudge, cherry, and walnut.
Dark Chocolate Bars
• Dick Taylor Madagascar (72%): This bar is made with cacao beans grown by the owner of the renowned Åkesson Plantation in Sanbirano Valley in northern Madagascar. The only ingredient added is organic cane sugar, allowing the classic citrus and red berry notes of these beans to stand out. Other tasting notes include molasses, orange, raisin, and toast.
• Luisa Abram Rio Purus (81%): Made in Brazil with extremely rare wild cacao from the Brazilian Amazon Rainforest, this award-winning bar is unlike other craft bars I have enjoyed. As the bar melts in your mouth, the deep chocolate taste evolves into a complex array of flavors: earthy, spices, chestnut, molasses, dried banana, and green olive.
• Fossa Honey Orchid Dancong Hongcha: Made in Singapore with beans from Tanzania and tea from the Guangdong Province in China, featuring a lychee fragrance and red date sweetness. (FYI, I am obsessed with this bar.)
• Åkesson’s Madagascar Criollo (100%): Made in the United Kingdom with rare, select Heirloom cacao beans from the Sambirano Valley, featuring a subtle fruity-sweet tartness. If you’ve ever been curious about tasting 100% chocolate, this is the one to try. I use this chocolate to make my 100% Chocolate Treats.
NOTE: I cannot ship to warm climates (above 70°).
Shipping (Priority Mail, US only): $10 flat rate. Additional charges may apply for large orders. See the About section for more information on shipping and returns.
Local Pickup: Free, by appointment, in Newton, MA.